Tuesday, July 7, 2015

My Week as an English Teacher

For the second time in as many years, I have traveled to Budapest to teach English.  Despite the fact that this would be my second time at the Forrai School, I still felt nervous about how the week would turn out. 

This was partly because our group was different this time.  Instead of going with my two pastors and their wives, I was to travel with only one pastor, a couple from O’Fallon, and two older people from elsewhere in Illinois.  The two older people each ended up dropping out.  One because her husband fell ill, and the other because he had an unexpected surgery.  So then it was just down to me, Pastor Ken, Steve (a pastor and counselor), and Mindy (a newly retired teacher).  Though we met twice as a group and exchanged some emails, I didn’t know what to expect from my new travel companions.  I didn’t know if we would work well together, or even enjoy one another’s company.

I was also nervous because I wasn’t sure how my new students would react to my teaching.  Last year I had six incredibly quiet girls.  I didn’t know if I would get the same kind of students, if they would be hyper-active, or if they would fall somewhere in the middle.  Not to mention I don’t think I did a great job last time.  I didn’t know what to expect, and I didn’t prepare nearly enough material or activities.  I’m certain my students last year were either totally confused or bored out of their minds because of my lack of preparation.  I could only hope that my experiences from last year would help me engage my students better this year.

One thing that didn’t worry me was getting to see all of the people from the church again.  Pastor Feri and his wife, Sara, once again opened their hearts and home to us.  Robi, one of our helpers and sometimes tour guide, once again helped us to understand our students and get around the city.  And I was able to impose upon Nora and Robert once more and stay in their home.  Their children, Andris and Balint, were shy of me again, and unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to spend as much time with them.  All of the members of the Pest UMC were warm and welcoming.  Their church is already beginning to feel like a second home.

Now, about my worries.  When it came to Steve and Mindy, those worries quickly disappeared once we set out.  Not only were they great traveling partners, they were just plain fun to talk to.  Mindy and I agreed that the best part of going to new places was experiencing new food.  We certainly agreed that Kürtőskalács (traditional Transylvanian funnel cakes-pictured left) are by far the best pastry out there (especially when it comes straight off a wood fire).  We also found the best (and cheapest) place to get gelato.  It was just north of the Oktogon, next to a Turkish restaurant (also a great place to eat).  Steve was asked to do two presentations about counseling.  The first was about understanding teenagers (a subject we all need a little help on), and the second about general counseling concerns.  Though I’d gotten to know Steve a little through regular conversations, those presentations really helped me understand him better.  It was especially interesting watching the way he and Mindy worked as a team when he spoke.  She helped him gauge time and the audience.  I could see that teamwork also went a long way toward teaching and helping their students.

My fears about teaching were the hardest to get over.  Though I learned a lot from last year, the first day or two were still pretty rough.  I had to learn what worked for my students, and what didn’t.   And I definitely didn’t prepare enough for that first day.  Hopefully they enjoyed my lessons; though I could never tell if they hated or loved the idioms I taught them.  They definitely preferred “Man Bites Dog” to other games I suggested, and they reveled in telling gruesome stories in English (the one about the cute little monster that eats faces is probably still my favorite).  They were also quite good when I adapted “Telephone” as a translation game.  Sara (who helped me throughout the week) gave me pointers as we went along.  I’m going to be optimistic and say that meant my teaching got better each day.  Overall, my students were an even mix of reserved and outgoing this time.  I think part of that was due to the fact that we separated the students based upon their level of English.  I frankly begged for the higher-level students.  Given how much I like to talk, I knew I needed the students who would struggle the least to understand me.  Technically, I think there were students in the lower-level classes who understood English well enough, but it was probably good that the other classes had some higher-level students who might have been able to help others. 

By the end of the week, I had a new-found respect for my high school Spanish teacher, Senora King.  I only dealt with my talkative teenagers for a week, whereas she’s been teaching for years.  Though she technically has an advantage because she can at least understand when her students began cracking off in their native tongue.  Though with Sara there, I could at least trust they were only goofing off and not insulting me or each other.  I do hate missing a good joke though.  The solution for that, of course, would be to learn Hungarian before my next trip.  I can just imagine the shock on my students’ faces when I answer some quip or jibe in plain Hungarian.  Sure, they’ll probably make fun of my accent, but at least they’ll assume I understand everything they’re saying from there on out.

We did have a couple of troublemakers this year.  Last year we got very lucky in that department.  Other than the usual youthful exuberance inherent in all teenagers (especially boys), they were all respectful of what the camp was trying to do.  My students this year, while generally talkative, did at least try to listen and learn.  Other classes were not so attentive.  With only four boys in the camp, one seemed to find the very idea of our camp repellent.  He appeared to find a kindred spirit in a young lady in his class, and they proceeded to feed off of whatever the other would instigate.  I find it unfortunate that neither of them found anything useful in our (non-compulsory) camp—other than new friends for the upcoming school year.  Those two certainly lived down to the “bad apple” stereotype.  Though I could be entirely wrong, I think it was their influence that kept some of the other kids from coming to the graduation recognition we held Friday night.  All I do know it that I went from having 4 of 7 students in my class saying they were coming, to having none show up.  While they could have all had valid excuses for bailing, it still felt like our bad apples convinced the others that the camp and subsequent graduation weren’t worth their time.  Well, to be honest I think one girl decided not to come because her new friend (entirely separate from the apples) wasn’t going.  Whatever their reasons, I confess to feeling hurt.  While I don’t regret the time and effort I spent that week, it is upsetting to think that none (or at least very few) of my students appreciated that effort.  However, I was mostly sad that I didn’t get to give them a proper goodbye.

Lucky for me, I bounce back quickly.  The ceremony was fun, especially the presentations by the students from each class.  We had two skits and a musical presentation.  The kids played games and got fed before the graduation, and I got to learn a couple of new games.  The kids playing cards with me also got an intriguing look at both my competitive side and extreme lack of Hungarian skills.

All told, this was yet another wonderful trip.  I got to see friends from last year, and made all new ones.  We saw some of the same sights, and also saw new views.  I’m grateful to my family, friends, and church for their support.  I appreciated all of the time, effort, and support from the people in the Pest church and the Forrai School.  And most of all, I thank God for His protection and guidance throughout my trip.

God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment